You’re not imagining it—Vitamin C has been showing up in skincare products a lot lately, including in our Daily Glow AOX Serum. But what does Vitamin C do exactly? And just how does it work?
Let’s Cut to the Chase: What are the Benefits?
According to Harvard Medical School, Vitamin C that’s applied to the skin can help slow down early skin aging, and improve the look of wrinkles, dark spots and acne. If you’ve tried it, you likely noticed other nice benefits like a brighter complexion and a more even skin tone. Topically applied Vitamin C can help repair skin damage that's caused by UV exposure and it can also help prevent future sun damage, thanks to its antioxidant properties. But to reap these benefits, you have to be serious about your sunscreen. Apply it in the morning and reapply throughout the day, limit sun exposure especially in the hours when the sun is most strong, cover up with a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeves, choose full-length pants instead of shorts—all the moves we should be making anyway in regard to the dangers of UV exposure! Together, consistent user of Vitamin C and sunscreen should yield results you'll be pleased with, now and down the road, too.
Vitamin C is:
- Antioxidant, making it helpful in fighting damage caused by free radicals
- Anti-inflammatory, so it helps control sebum (oil) production
- Glycolic acid: promotes skin renewal by exfoliating top skin layers and increasing collagen levels thanks to the higher cell turnover it fosters. It’s also known to reverse signs of aging and photodamage.
- Acer Rubrum Extract: helps retain moisture and hydrate the skin while also absorbing excess oil. Our hero ingredient that’s a true multi-tasker, we create it by upcycling FSC®-certified red maple from sustainable forests.
- Peptides: boost collagen and elastin to help decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improve skin tone and elasticity.